For two millennia after their emergence in the east and west of the Indus Valley, both Buddhism & Christianity witnessed several alterations and additions. The first and most noticeable was the fact that both were expanding and establishing their roots in the nations of the far east and western hemisphere respectively, while quietly got wiped out from the places of their origin. It is also significant that both Buddhism and Christianity are majorly followed by the population belonging to a race and linguistic group different from those of their founders. Also to mention is, both the religions had numerous developments in their religious theories and principles, long after their founders had left this materialistic world.
Considered to be the two great distinctive religions of the world, both Buddhism & Christianity today covers a large section of the world population with numerous similarities and differences.
Similarity Between Buddhism And Christianity
- Buddhism : Lord Buddha based His ethics on the
'golden rule', which was for the welfare of the human beings.
- Christianity : Jesus Christ also preached His ethics as per the 'golden rule', which was for the welfare of His people and easily approachable.
- Buddhism : Buddha, the founder of Buddhism
rejected extreme asceticism and gave an emphasis on self-liberation
- Christianity : Jesus Christ also rejected extreme asceticism.
Forms Of Worship
- Buddhism : The worship in Buddhism includes
monasticism, ringing of bells, bowing, use of incense and rosary,
erection of towers or stupas, prayers and meditation.
- Christianity : Similarly, the Christians also follow almost same form of worship - Monasticism, Confession, the cult of images, ringing of bells, use of rosary and incense and the erection of towers.
Love And Compassion
- Buddhism : The Buddhist doctrine gives an
emphasis on love for the entire mankind and every other beings as well,
no matter whether the being is a friend or an enemy!
- Christianity : The Christian doctrine is also based on the principle of 'Love thy neighbour like unto yourself', which means that love should be showered upon not only your friends, but the entire beings.
Difference Between Buddhism And Christianity
- Buddhism The original Buddhist doctrine does not
entail any Godly figures. However, the later Buddhist sects introduced
some godly figures.
- Christianity : There is only one God, Jesus, who is loving and approachable.
- Buddhism : According to the Buddhist concept, one
has to work for one's own salvation, and therefore, cannot blame or
depend on others for salvation.
- Christianity : Salvation is not based on one's work, but instead, is a free gift to all those who would accept Jesus Christ as their savior.
- Buddhism : According to the Buddhist doctrine,
there is an eternal life, which depends on the karma of one's present
- Christianity : There is an eternal life in Heaven, which has nothing to do with karma and comes as a free gift of salvation.
Love And Compassion
- Buddhism : The concept of Buddhism does not
mention a God who showers love and takes care of His people.
- Christianity : Bible, the holy book of the Christians, mentions the God's love for His folks or devotees.
The Concept of World
- Buddhism : Buddhism neither deals with the
beginning nor a definite end of the world.
- Christianity : According to the Christian doctrine, the God has created the world from nothing, and rules it according to His own definite plan.
- Buddhism : The Buddhist canons includes only
those insights which the Buddha won by His own strength and will after
comprehending the nature of truth.
- Christianity : The Bible, holy text fort the
Christians, is regarded as the 'Words of God' and includes those
realities, which are unknown to the mankind.